How To Download All Facebook Group Discussion UPDATED

How To Download All Facebook Group Discussion

A few days ago, I registered in one of those online challenges. During a week, y'all had to scout videos and work on daily goals. I knew this claiming brings loftier-value information, but I had no fourth dimension to view the content.

Organizers used a private Facebook group in which they alive-streamed the sessions, posted updates, and chastened discussions with their audition.

Later, they announced that the group stays, but they will delete all the videos. The challenge was coming to an end, and I had two options — watch all videos in one twenty-four hour period, or download them and watch subsequently at my pace. Naturally, I opted for the second choice.

Disclaimer: I don't endorse piracy in any style. In this post, I prove you lot how to download content to which you were already authorized. I encourage you to download videos only for personal use and not share them with anyone else. Please respect the rights of the original authors.

Figuring out how to download the content took me several hours of trial-and-error. Ordinarily, videos streamed to your phone or PC are segmented into tiny chunks, which are only a couple of seconds long. All these chunks are listed in a Manifest, and if you find this file, you lot can download all the segments and join them together. I'm familiar with a developer console in my browser. And so far, I always found a fashion to download a video if it's not encrypted. Just let me tell you — Facebook is chatty; quite perhaps, y'all'll get lost in the logs even if you know what y'all're doing. There must be a better style.

Facebook network activity

Facebook network activity

I searched for a guide on how to download a video from a private FB grouping, and I found several of them. Besides, I bumped into several online tools, which automate some steps for you. However, all these guides and tools used the aforementioned technique, which allows you to download a video only in a blurry SD format, which is suited for small mobile screens.

Method #ane: SD download

This method is accessible for anybody, and you detect a plethora of online tools that will make the process even more comfortable.

Find a mail service with the video you want to download and aggrandize the video and so that information technology fits the whole page.

Expand video

Aggrandize video

You should see a screen similar to this 1:

Full-screen video

Full-screen video

Now, copy the video URL link. Information technology should look like this:

              

1 https://www.facebook.com/vladimir.zahradnik1/videos/3175253852495827/

Note: Some groups have a video section with all their videos listed in i place.

It'due south piece of cake — just supervene upon the www role with chiliad and open the new link instead:

              

1 https://m.facebook.com/vladimir.zahradnik1/videos/3175253852495827/

Now you should see a Facebook folio designed for mobile phones.

Update 11/01/2020: As one of the readers pointed out, the method presented hither wasn't working anymore. Facebook has changed their webpage for mobile devices, and now it is using an internal web player to play the video; yous can't correct-click on the video to save information technology. I found a simple workaround. Today, I made a quick walkthrough; I picked a random Facebook video for this demonstration. The procedure for the videos in private groups should be the same. In this tutorial, I am using Firefox, just the procedure in Chrome should exist very similar. The video below follows from the point of opening the mobile version of the spider web.

The mobile version of the web points to a video file in its entirety; information technology is not separate into smaller chunks. The downside of this approach is that the downloaded video is low-quality. Still, I prefer to accept at least something to sentry than nothing at all. In my original method, you could right-click on the video file and then click on the Salvage Link As... menu detail. This approach doesn't work anymore. Still, in that location's a way how to download the video.

Each webpage has some resources, which the browser needs to download. Your video is ane of them. All these resources are visible in a Network tab of the Programmer console. There are several ways how to admission this tab:

  1. Click on the "hamburger" menu push button in the top-right corner. Then, click on the Web Developer card and select the Network subitem
  2. Hit Ctrl+Shift+E
  3. Right-click on the video, click on the Audit Chemical element menu item and and then click on the Network tab

Step iv: Hitting F5 to refresh the webpage

Refreshing your webpage is an optional stride, but it guarantees that all webpage resources are re-downloaded, including your video. Merely hitting F5, and you should run across how your browser downloads the resources.

Stride v: Hit the Play push button

Subsequently you start playing the video, you should see the video resource appear in the Network tab. There'southward a Media filter you can use to see only the relevant files.

Step 6: Download the video

Finally, you tin can correct-click on the video resources and open information technology in a new tab. You have a direct link to the video file on this tab, and you tin can download your video after clicking on the Salvage Link Equally... menu item.

Method #2: Hard disk drive download

Unlike the outset method, the procedure I'g nigh to describe was not covered by anyone, despite much improve results. It allows you to download videos in HD, preserving the highest quality possible.

youtube-dl

Youtube-dl is a tool I sometimes use when I desire to download a video from YouTube. Just don't get fooled by its proper noun; this tool supports downloading videos out of many websites, including Facebook.

youtube-dl is a command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites. — official website

I made a detailed walkthrough of youtube-dl in this video:

youtube dl - Downloading YouTube videos easily

This application is written in Python and runs everywhere; I have information technology installed on my server just in case. While its main features are well documented, individual extractors similar Facebook don't have any documentation as well its source code. The best style to test if youtube-dl can download a video is to try information technology out and see yourself.

Update x/23/2020: youtube-dl source repository has been taken down after the DMCA notice from RIAA. The authors published on their website the latest source code archive and binaries; however, the future of this project is uncertain at the moment. I decided to create a repository mirror from its contempo snapshot on my own git server. Yous can find the code hither.

Update 11/17/2020: youtube-dl has been reinstated past GitHub. They explained in deep all the situation around youtube-dl.

Downloading a protected FB video

Nether normal circumstances, youtube-dl works perfectly for downloading public videos. However, video from a private Facebook group is a different example. If yous effort to download it, youtube-dl eventually asks yous for login credentials:

              

1 [ [email protected] Downloads ] $ youtube-dl https://www.facebook.com/vladimir.zahradnik1/videos/3175253852495827/

2 [ facebook ] 3175253852495827: Downloading webpage

3 [ facebook ] 3175253852495827: Downloading webpage

4 Mistake: This video is only available for registered users. Utilise --username and --password or --netrc to provide business relationship credentials.

This time we didn't succeed, but the output looks promising — it shows us that this extractor most likely supports downloading protected content.

Annotation: While an extractor works ane solar day, nobody can guarantee it will work on some other 24-hour interval. Frequently, webpages change, and developers need to update this extractor to reverberate the changes. If y'all know Python, even you lot tin aid!

Calculation login information

Youtube-dl supports username and password every bit optional parameters. These are the credentials used on Facebook login. Let's endeavor to download a video over again, but with credentials specified:

              

1 [ [email protected] Downloads ] $ youtube-dl --username vladimir.zahradnik1 --password < my-countersign > https://world wide web.facebook.com/vladimir.zahradnik1/videos/3175253852495827/

ii [ facebook ] Downloading login page

3 [ facebook ] Logging in

four [ facebook ] 3175253852495827: Downloading webpage

5 [ facebook ] 3175253852495827: Downloading webpage

6 [ facebook ] 3175253852495827: Downloading webpage

vii [ download ] Destination: Facebook video

8 [ download ] 100% of 1.58GiB in 00:17

ix [ download ] Destination: Facebook video

10 [ download ] 100% of 80.90MiB in 00:00

eleven [ ffmpeg ] Merging formats into "Facebook video #3175253852495827-3175253852495827.mp4"

12 Deleting original file Facebook video

13 Deleting original file Facebook video

Success! Now we have our video finally downloaded and can lookout man it anytime and anywhere, even without an internet connection.

Caveats

In my example, I downloaded more than 16 videos. During that time, I institute several bug. For the first method, information technology's obvious — downloaded video is low-quality. The second method delivers the best results, only be prepared to bargain with authentication and authorization issues:

Facebook two-cistron authentication

If yous use two-cistron authentication to increase account security further, downloading with youtube-dl won't work. As y'all may know, 2-factor authentication asks for your username and password. Still, yous must as well confirm your identity past other means. Typically, you enter a half dozen-digit code from your authentication app. In youtube-dl, in that location's no mode how to supply further information.

App passwords

Not all applications support 2-factor authentication. To cope with that, Facebook allows y'all to generate an app password. You should be able to log in without entering a password to your account and the additional code.

Typically, you generate an app password in your Facebook account's security settings. However, it looks similar this feature doesn't work correctly. When I created a password, Facebook was however asking for an additional code. Maybe it's a bug, or Facebook just implemented this characteristic differently than anyone else. As well, when I tried to remove the generated entry, I got weird errors (definitely a bug).

Facebook account security page

Facebook account security page

And so, if you use two-factor authentication and you desire to download a private video, there is no other fashion than turning this feature off temporarily.

Your FB account may become blocked

Before youtube-dl downloads a video, information technology e'er sends your login information. This tool is stateless; information technology stores no cookie telling Facebook that it'due south still y'all. If yous download more than a couple of videos, Facebook may observe unusual activity, and to mitigate possible damages, information technology blocks your account.

To unlock information technology, yous need to modify your password and get through several steps before Facebook lets you in again. During the last two days, I got blocked two times. Particularly the 2nd time was unexpected. Several hours passed since I downloaded all videos. At the time, I minded my own business, talked with some people over Messenger, and of a sudden couldn't deliver my letters. First, I thought information technology was a strange bug. Just later on I completely logged out and in over again, Facebook told me that they locked my business relationship — again! Worth mentioning the screen to change a password was buggy. Facebook inverse my countersign, but it displayed an mistake, and I was unable to continue. Ultimately, I made information technology work through the "I forgot the countersign" routine.

Determination

Despite some caveats, I'm more happy with the second method. I have the content to sentry anytime I want.

Youtube-dl is a handy tool, and if you didn't know well-nigh its existence, check it out. I'yard thinking of taking a look at its internals. Perhaps I could add support for cookie handling, or other websites.

What'southward your take on downloading content? I'thousand on the contend — on the one paw, I download publicly available content. On the other mitt, if authors make up one's mind to have the content downwards, is it suddenly illegal to nevertheless have a copy? I think information technology's a grey area, and I don't publish such videos to anyone.

Please let me know your opinions in the comments.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Posted by: traceylignew1991.blogspot.com

0 Komentar

Post a Comment




banner